I’ve had the opportunity to go into a lot of companies and witness a lot of different people related situations, problems, crises and solutions. In that time I’ve noticed a lot of stuff…things that don’t make it into the books you use in college or graduate school. I’ve not written them down before…although I’ve trotted them out many times when speaking in front of groups (or anyone that will listen, really) Because these have been garnered over about 20-25 years, rather than indicating a blinding flash of wisdom, they’re more like slow motion epiphanies.
I will list the first few…and will then elaborate upon them in future blogs. Some are short, sweet and not so hard to fathom, others are a twist on common beliefs and a few are downright contrarian.
Here are 1 through 10 (in no order really):
1. Every organization has the same problems.
2 Most people handle change well.
3. Your Leadership team is a fractal.
4. You should get rid of 10% of your people
5. Smart matters, but pushy trumps smart.
6. Playing well with others is over-rated.
7. Most conflict problems aren’t conflict problems
8. Generations don’t matter
9. The right meme can save your job.
10. There is no such thing as corporate culture.